Due to the unexpected closing of schools across New Mexico, the deadline for submitting scholarship applications has been extended to 5 PM, Wednesday, March 18 in order for students to have ample time to complete the application.
The Otero County Electric Cooperative Education Foundation awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors and returning-adult students who will be attending an accredited New Mexico University, College or Vocational / Technical school each year. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.
Higher Education Scholarship (4-year College or University undergraduate program)
OCEC Vocational / Technical Scholarship (2-year, accredited Vocational / Technical School)
A $1,000 scholarship will be paid in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given. The initial scholarship award may be renewed for an additional seven consecutive spring and fall semesters. The ability to renew the scholarship is contingent upon meeting the enrollment status and passing grade requirements.
• Higher education (4-year) students must be enrolled full time and maintain a 2.50 grade point average based on a 4.00 scale for renewal.
• Vocational / Technical students must be enrolled full time and maintain a passing grade for renewal.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funding availability and the applicant’s eligibility. Checks will be made payable to the school, and will be distributed to the school by OCEC.
- Available to active members receiving service from Otero County Electric Cooperative, Inc. and their immediate family.
- Scholarship to be granted to attend an accredited New Mexico University, College or Vocational / Technical school.
- Economic need of the applicant will be given secondary consideration during the selection process.
- Applications must be received or post marked no later than March 16th. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Awards will be announced within sixty (60) days of this date.
- Applicant must provide an official transcript from the school the applicant has most recently attended.
- Applicant must provide official test score sheet from either ACT or SAT testing. (Not a requirement for Vocational / Technical applicants. If the Vocational / Technical applicant has taken either test, they are encouraged to submit it.)
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and the willingness to pursue a course of higher learning. (Essay)
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by at least three (3) signed letters from teachers, principals, counselors, community leaders, employers, etc.
- The scholarship award winner must enter college in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given.
Send applications to:
Otero County Electric Education Foundation
PO Box 227
Cloudcroft, NM 88317-0227
For additional information, please contact
Kelley Sanders at (575) 682-7606 or firstname.lastname@example.org.