Otero County Electric Cooperative Education Foundation awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors and returning-adult students who will be attending an accredited New Mexico university, college, vocational or technical school each year. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.
These are the two types of scholarships awarded by the Otero County Electric Cooperative Education Foundation. When applying for a scholarship, please indicate which scholarship you are applying for.
OCEC Higher Education Scholarship (4 year, undergraduate program)
OCEC Vocational or Technical Scholarship - Mike Gaston/Ben Virden Memorial
A one (1) year $2,000 scholarship, $1,000 to be paid at the start of each semester on confirmation that the requirements of the grade point and enrollment have been met.
1. Applicant must provide an official transcript from the school the applicant has most recently attended.
2. Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by at least three (3) signed letters from teachers, principals, counselors, community leaders, employers, etc.
3. Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and the willingness to pursue a course of higher learning.
4. Applicant must provide official test score sheet from either ACT or SAT testing. (Not a requirement for vocational or technical applicants. If the vocational or technical applicant has taken either test, they are encouraged to submit it.)
1. Available to active members receiving service from Otero County Electric Cooperative, Inc. and their immediate families.
2. Scholarship to be granted to attend an accredited New Mexico university, college, vocational or technical school.
3. Economic need of the applicant will be given secondary consideration during the selection process.
4. Applications must be received no later than March 15th. Late applications will not be considered. Awards will be announced within sixty (60) days of this date.
5. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The initial scholarship award may be renewed for an additional seven consecutive semesters. The ability to renew is contingent upon meeting the enrollment status and passing grade requirements. Higher Education (4 year) students must be enrolled full time and maintain a 2.50 Grade Point Average based on a 4.00 scale for renewal. Vocational or Technical students must be enrolled full time and maintain a passing grade for renewal. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funds available and the applicant’s eligibility.
Send applications to:
Otero County Electric Education Foundation
PO Box 227
Cloudcroft, NM 88317-0227
For additional questions, please contact
Kelley Sanders at (575) 682-7606 or email@example.com.