The history of Otero County Electric Cooperative, Inc. (OCEC) starts in October 1939 in the Texas Hotel (which is now the antique shop). Ray Daniels, MD Brantley, LA Hendrix, CM Bell, Ora Swope, JM Walker, John Mershon, Angie Cleve and JB Runyan came together to form our first Board of Directors. Together, they instated the first by-laws and issued the first membership certificates at $5.00.
The picture to the left shows the Texas Hotel where the first meeting of the Board of Trustees took place in 1939. The picture to the right is of the Board of Trustees from the mid 1950's. From L to R: unknown, Roger Mayfield, Jack Vickers, Jack Hobson, W.A. Gage, unknown, George Sisneros, and J.B. Runyan.